I don’t even like walnuts, and I love this milk. I’ve made it daily for the past 2 weeks. Ai Ai got some mason jars for me to store my milk in, and they are perfect for me to pour milk into since they have a wide mouth and a lid that’s good for my pre-pour shake routine. Ai Ai has some smaller mason jars that are perfect for holding my non-dairy creamer.
There’s no straining because I’m still recommending a greatly reduced ratio of nuts : water relative to what I usually see in recipes. As opposed to 1c nuts to 4c water I usually use ¼ c nuts to 4 c water. If the mood strikes I might use 1/3 of a cup of nuts or just dispense with measuring and throw a handful or two into a mug. If I want a treat I’ll throw a spoonful of unsweetened shredded coconut in with the rest of the ingredients, and blend away.
I also made some non-dairy creamer by just increasing the ratio of nuts:water. My method has developed since my Sweet Cream post so that we’re making it all from scratch. Ever since Ernie got me hooked on wheat grass I have lost my appetite for matcha, and I’m not going to see CMD all the time so she won’t worry about caffeine constricting my blood vessels, I’m back to drinking coffee and black tea – hence the need for creamer.
I will be seeing CMD soon, though, (YAY!) so I’m glad I thought about this milk since it’s the only kind of milk I’ve made so far that I actually prefer not to add a shot of espresso to. It’s so rich and maple-y I can slurp up two tall glasses of iced milk in the morning and be very happy. This will be a perfect pre-acupuncture drink.
Vanilla Maple Walnut Milk
Makes about 4 cups
- 1/4-1/3 c walnuts, soaked
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1/8 c Grade B maple syrup (B has a richer flavor) OR a couple of drops of natural maple flavor (I HIGHLY recommend getting some maple flavoring) plus sweetener (e.g. honey or agave) to taste
- dash of cinnamon
- splash of vanilla extract
Drain and rinse the walnuts, and add them into the blender along with all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth. Stir or shake before serving (there will be a little sediment.)
- ½ c nuts – e.g. almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts etc.
- 1.5 c water
- splash of vanilla (and/or maple, if you like)
- dash of cinnamon
- sweetener of choice to taste, or 4-6 dates
- a small spoonful of coconut oil (like the Detoxinista!) – this makes it creamier, and obviously fattier. There’s a slight hint of coconutty taste. You can omit it if you like, but I think it’s lovely.
Pour the nuts into a mug and cover them with water. Microwave them for 60-90 seconds. Drain, rinse, and add them into the blender along with all of the other ingredients. Blend until smooth. Stir or shake before serving (there will be sediment.)